Here I bring you another step manual for installing an OS, this time it’s a linux and distribution is CentOS 5.4, the installation will be in graphical mode.
Remember we have is a distribution based on Red Hat.
The first thing to do is get the iso image of the program, such as CentOS is a free, you can download from the homepage.
Once you have the ISO, you burn a DVD using a burning program, I recommend imgburn.
After recording the DVD with dvd and reboot, the screen will refresh CentOS installation.
We give and will enter as loading the vmlinuz and initrd.img, vmlinuz image being system load.
* All distributions to load when installing those two lines.
Once loaded all the files proved necessary, the machine will display a screen asking if you want to test the cd/dvd we have introduced for errors. If you do not want to revise that the disc is in good condition, we are positioned in Skip and give to enter.
* If you test the disc may take a considerable time
Here we are at the Welcome screen (graphics mode) to install CentOS. To continue we will give next.
Select the language to use during installation.
Select the type of keyboard to the system. After confirmation will come out a sale, give a yes
After selecting the type of language and keyboard, the screen goes partitioning.
CentOS gives us several options:
- Remove all partitions on selected drives and create default layout: Delete the partitions that we select and give us the opportunity than to create new partitions.
- Delete linux partitions on selected drives and create default layout: This option removes all partitions that are of linux (ext3, swap …) while maintaining the other, for example Windows FAT/NTFS.
- Use free space on selected drives and create default layout: This does not delete any partitions, which can create new and retaining the old (when they should have free space on hard drive)
- Create custom layout: It gives us the option to partition the drive to our liking.
I will select option 4, and so I have total control and I can see exactly partitions. Once selected we will Next.
Will leave the screen showing all the partitions that are installed. In my case there is no because it is on a totally empty.
To create the first parcitición give to new, then adding a screen partition.
File System type: Select SWAP
Size (MB): It will be more or less double the ram to use the computer, bone if your computer has 512 mb of ram this will 1024.
Once set the MB to wear, we accept and we will see that now appears the new partition.
Swap memory is a type of virtual memory, if the computer overload the ram, then use the swap.
* The Swap partition it is not mandatory but is highly recommended if you want the computer is not binding.
Do the same as before, we give again to create a new partition.
Now we mount point (/), that means the new partition will be at the root of the disk.
File System Type: Ext3, but now a new version, the ext4.
MB in size, put the size that we see fit, or if you are like me and want to fill the disk with this partition, we mark the tab “fill to maximum alloweble size”.
Then give to the next.
* As recommended, if you want a more secure system, Hasco several partitions, for example one in root (/), one /home … etc
This is the result of partitioning. Once we left as queriro, we give next.
Now we are asked where you want to install the boot loader or do not install Quereme.
We want to install selected /dev/hda, does that mean, that was created at the beginning of the first hard disk.
* Hda does it mean that the hd (hard disk) 1, which is a hd “id“, if they are sata drive would be sda.
Now it’s time to configure the network connection. Pruned set it up, or give directly below, but we connect by DHCP, osea take random ip.
To configure this click edit.
Tick “Manual configuration” and put the ip and netmask.
We remove the tab “Enable IPv6 Support”, and now we are not going to use.
Next, configure the host name, and below we introduce the IP address of your router and primary and secondary DNS.
We verify our region.
This screen is very important because here we will give a password to root (administrator of the machine). Keep in mind that Linux can not work with a user that has no password.
* You can not forget the root password without it you can not do many things, also recommend not using root or unless you want to do something important, such as modifying system files.
It gives us the option to choose which group of applications (packages) you want to install, such as desktop Gnome, Kde, servers .. etc.
We choose what we want. Then if you want to have a more customized packages to be installed, check “Customize now”, giving the following will find all available packages, once finished giving back to the next.
* If you go into customize now, to give you next leave a window to check the dependencies.
Before attempting to install the following windows out:
- Formatting / file system.
- Transferring install image to hard drive…
- Starting install process. The may teke several minutes…
We wait to install all packages.
Once installed packages, the machine reboots and start the grub (bootloader) giving 3 seconds. In the case of pressing any key, situate on the tab above, in my example (2.6.18-164.e.5xen Centos).
We see loads of system services. To view it detelladamente click on “Show Details”
Now begins the basic configuration, we give Forward
Configure the firewall. In my example I have it disabled, once we set up a forward.
The SELinux is another system for additional security. By default it is in obedient, but I put on leave because they do not want to overwhelm the system security.
* Later, we activate on SELinux from the system.
We verify the date and exact time.
You have to create a user. To do this we will:
- Full Name
Configruacion We are in the sound, we can make a sound test to verify that it works.
This window is used to install additional packages we have on other cd/dvd.
Once finished, we will finish.
We are now prompted for a user name and password, enter the user we created above and we will appear on your desktop, in my case is the Gnome desktop.
Here ends the guide step by step installation of CentOS 5.4 If you have questions, suggestions, or let me know you can detect any failure in the tab you can send a mail in “contact” or put a comment.